Plant Prefab is the first prefabricated home factory in the nation dedicated to sustainable construction, materials, processes, and operations. Plant manufactures custom, single-family and multi-family homes that are high-quality, healthy, and durable. With their patented building system, Plant delivers lower-cost homes in half the time and with less waste than traditional, site-based contractors. Plant models are fully customizable and available to individuals, developers, and architects. Plant was spun out of LivingHomes, and major funding was provided by Amazon and Obvious Ventures. The company operates out of a 62,000-square-foot facility in Rialto, California, with a design studio in Santa Monica, CA.
The Environmental Health & Sustainability (EHS) Manager will develop, lead, and grow the company’s EHS program. Addressing both the homes we build and our operations, the EHS Manager will lead the charge to reduce our ecological footprint and ensure that the materials and processes we use are safe for our clients, employees, and the environment. The EHS Manager will help Plant develop a world-class EHS program that sets a standard for the construction industry. The position will be based in our Rialto headquarters and report to the Vice President of Manufacturing.
• Develop annual goals, strategy, initiatives, and budget for EHS initiatives.
• Manage EHS programs for the Rialto facility and all future facilities.
• Report and articulate key EHS KPI’s and issues to senior leadership.
• Provide engineering support to ensure EHS in industrial operations.
• Develop and track comprehensive return on investment analysis to support the business case for sustainable initiatives.
• Conduct ergonomic assessments, craft improvement plans, and establish company ergonomic standards.
• Develop and author sustainable operating practices, including best practices for recycling and material reuse, and integrate into company documentation.
• Maintain internal and external EHS, OSHA, and EPA compliance audits, inspection records, countermeasures, and other related documents.
• Develop and mentor “Sustainability Coordinators” in appropriate departments to ensure that EHS best practices are implemented and tracked.
• Educate staff and project teams on green building trends, sustainability practices, and emerging technologies.
• Work with company leadership to implement green-lit sustainable design building initiatives. Track returns from initiatives and variances to return on investment analysis.
• Review, provide feedback, and release all project documentation (including technical calculations) relating to EHS compliance.
• Identify non-value-added operations in the organization, and propose new operational procedures to achieve leaner design and manufacturing processes.
• Interface and develop relationships with green building certification organizations.
• Maintain current knowledge of sustainable design building programs.
• Other activities as assigned to support the success of the organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• B.S. or B.A. in engineering, architecture, building science or a related discipline
• LEED accreditation preferred
• Minimum five years’ work experience in sustainability, ideally within the building design and construction industry
• Management at a leadership level of green building projects, from inception through final certification, ideal
• Understanding of typical manufacturing terms, facilities, and associated industrial workings, including automated and manual fabrication, facility layout, and lean manufacturing principles (as they relate to EHS)
• Basic Knowledge of OSHA and ergonomic standards; experience with Housing and Community Development (HCD) standards a plus
• Exemplary project management skills with an emphasis on schedule, scope, deliverables, and budget
• Ability to read and analyze drawings and specifications
• Advanced Excel, Word, AutoCAD, and PowerPoint skills
• Proficiency in developing and delivering presentations
• Excellent written and verbal communication capabilities
• Exceptional time management skills
• Creativity and ability devise clever solutions to everyday problems
• Ability to work cross-functionally as a true team player in a multi-cultural environment
• Authorized to work in the U.S. (sponsorship not available)
• Subject to passing a drug screening and background check
Salary + Benefits:
• Salary, performance-based bonus, and stock options commensurate with experience and skills
• Excellent medical, vision, and dental insurance
• The opportunity to work with great architects and meaningfully contribute to projects that improve the quality of life for people and the planet
Please apply on Workable, taking care to complete all required fields, including cover letter. No applications will be accepted without a cover letter.